There are many ways to market your small business. You can market yourself via Facebook and Twitter, as well as pay Google Search ads, invest in great content or build your email list.
It can be useful to divide your approach into two areas when you are developing your marketing strategy.
- Organic marketing strategies for small businesses that help your articles, website, and other content rank on search engines and reach people’s inboxes
- Paid promotion is where ads are paid to appear next to search engine results on websites and in social media feeds.
A foundation for small business marketing
We’ll be discussing organic marketing strategies for small businesses and how they can become an integral part of your overall marketing plan. We will examine the main organic channels and discuss the best software, tools and platforms to support each.
We are building upon the topics that we have previously explored in our guides specifically:
- Marketing 101: Basics for small-business owners. We will introduce you to basic marketing strategies as well as the main channels that can be used to reach customers.
- Six proven small business marketing strategies that work. We dive into six strategies and show you how to apply them in your small business.
- We will discuss the concept of a marketing funnel and its benefits.
- We have compiled the best digital channels to help you build a marketing plan.
- This article explains what digital marketing is and gives you a good overview of how to market your self online
To get an idea of the concepts that we will be discussing in this guide, we recommend that you read the posts above.
Let’s get to it.
Organic marketing basics
Google Search is only one part of an organic marketing strategy. Image credit: Unsplash
Organic marketing involves promoting your company in three ways.
- Website Content Marketing you put on your website and other sites that will draw people to your online company.
- Share social media content to various social media networks so your fans and followers can see it and respond to it
- Email content and newsletter you send to subscribers
Organic marketing is different from paid advertising because your content is not shown to your target audience. While you may still have to pay for original content creation, once that’s done, organic search, social media feeds and emails are all you need to promote your company.
Strategies for marketing websites
You can market your website through social media and other third-party channels (Image credit: Unsplash).
There are many ways to use website content marketing:
- Create and publish content on your website so your pages appear in organic search when people search for keywords related to industry, products, or services.
- To increase your chances of being found in search results, create content and publish it on other websites . Include a link back from your website (by creating backlinks).
- You create content and share it on third-party platforms such as YouTube, Medium, Reddit, Reddit, etc., which will drive interest in your business.
- Create organic content on social media (we’ll get to that a bit later).
How do you create website content marketing
Below is a list of steps to help you develop great website content marketing.
- Create a content strategy: Content creation should not be done randomly. It should be part of a coherent marketing strategy. This means creating a marketing strategy and aligning your channels and content so that you communicate in the best way to the right people at the right times.
- Choose the type of content that you wish to create. There are many options available: Blog articles, videos; explainers; landing page pages; images and illustrations; podcasts; audio; branding and graphics design; website design; and many more.
- Create instructions and define the content: Decide what the content should be and how it should look.
- Hire someone to create the content. It all depends on your abilities and capabilities. You can either create the content yourself or hire an employee. Or, you could bring in freelance help. This article’s author is a freelancer who specializes in technology and business.
- Come together to create content. Create, review, revise, and give feedback so you can get the content that you want.
- Choose where to publish the content.
- Create the content and track its performance: Use analytics to analyze and monitor how your content performs, so that you can improve, refine and create better content in the future.
The best content marketing software and tools
- Content tracking and project tracking: GatherContent. Monday.com. Clickup. Asana
- Content creation: Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, etc), MS Office, Google Office Suite, Canva
- Tracking your visitors to your site, how they got there and what they did: Google Analytics
- Tracking and keywords for content marketing: Google Search console, HubSpot and SEMRush.
Top freelance content marketer employment platforms and companies
Fiverr, Fiverr Pro and Toptal are the best platforms to hire freelance content creators. 99Designs, LinkedIn and individual job sites are also good options.
Marketing strategies for organic social media content
Social media marketing takes multiple forms, including content creation, forums for discussion, and much more (Image credit: Shuttestock/Bloomicon)
Social media marketing can be used in many different ways:
- A social media strategy that identifies what and when you will post it.
- Set up groups, pages, and accounts that your audience will like and follow
- You can create and share content on your favorite social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others.
- Discussions and managing groups on social media
- Engaging customers, comments and other interactions with your company
How do you manage your social media marketing
The same steps will be used for organic social media marketing as regular website content marketing. We won’t go into too much detail. It’s better to concentrate on social media-specific content marketing strategies. This is what you will want to do:
- Create an organic social media strategy. Similar to website content marketing but with a greater focus on social networks where customers are most likely to hand you out.
- Choose the type of social media content that you would like to create: Refer to website content marketing.
- Create instructions and define social media content: In line with website content marketing.
- Hire someone to create social media content. This is similar to website content marketing. However, you will need to hire someone who specializes on social media content creation.
- Hire a social media manager/coordinator to monitor, manage and communicate with your social media accounts.
- Together, create social media content: In line with website content marketing.
- Choose where to publish social media content. Similar to website content marketing, but you will need match the content with the channel. For example, you can create very visual posts on Instagram and Pinterest, or professional posts for LinkedIn. You can also make short posts for Twitter.
- Track the results and publish social media content: Per website content marketing.
The best social media marketing software and tools
- Social media content creation: Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, etc), MS Office, Google Office Suite, Canva
- Tracking your visitors to your website, how they got there and what they did:Google Analytics
- Monitoring and tracking social media marketing: Google Analytics. HubSpot. Hootsuite. Buffer. Sprout Social.
Marketing strategies for email and newsletter subscribers that include organic content
Marketing strategies for newsletter and email campaigns can be created by promoting yourself to existing leads. Image credit: Unsplash
Newsletter marketing and email marketing are slightly different than the other methods, because you will only be marketing to those who have signed up for your mailing list. This will require a slightly different approach as you will be sharing information with leads that already know about your company. This is how it works:
- Encourage people to sign-up to receive email from you. This is usually done by offering incentives such as a lead magnet, or similar marketing.
- Create an email list with leads who are interested
- Send out emails marketing campaigns that provide helpful information, guides, and news about your products and services.
- To send your emails, set up email automation
- Monitor the effectiveness of your email marketing campaigns
How do I create emails and newsletters
With email marketing, you’ll be following the same steps as with regular website content marketing. This will be covered briefly but we’ll concentrate on the unique aspects of email and newsletter marketing.
- Create an email and newsletter marketing program: After a customer signs up, you will need to create a step-by outlined marketing strategy for each email.
- Choose the type of email content that you would like to create: Refer to website content marketing.
- Create instructions and define the email content. In accordance with website content marketing.
- Hire someone to write the email content. This is similar to website content marketing. However, you will need to hire someone who is a specialist in email and newsletter content. Also, consider other aspects of the campaign as they will “drip” and build upon each other.
- Together, create the email content. In line with website content marketing.
- Automate your drip campaigns with email software: Below are some useful software.
- Send your emails out and track the results. You’ll want to measure open rates, and how many people click through.
The best email marketing software and tools
- Email content creation: Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, etc), MS Office, Google Office Suite, Canva
- Email marketing tracking: Constant contact, MailChimp and other tools
Marketing automation software can help you manage your organic channels. Here’s how to create an automated marketing workflow that works for your business.
Businesses can use organic marketing to their advantage. If done well, organic marketing can help you build strong connections, share useful information, and build trust. These are all great starting points to sell your products or services.